Photo: Bill Walker
Bill Walker MPP Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound

Bill Walker MPP

Media Release:

Media Release: image

For Immediate Release
June 24, 2019

MPP Bill Walker to team up with Insurance Bureau of Canada to donate carbon monoxide alarms

OWEN SOUND – On Wednesday, June 26, Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound MPP Bill Walker will partner with Insurance Bureau of Canada to donate carbon monoxide alarms for the homes of local residents and to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“I am happy to have helped secure the donation of these lifesaving carbon monoxide alarms today,” said Walker.  “Carbon monoxide poisoning is easily preventable.  Donations like these help raise much needed awareness of the importance of guarding against carbon monoxide, and support the Private Members Bill introduced by my friend and colleague, the Honourable Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture and MPP for Oxford.”

IBC contributed 100 carbon monoxide alarms to the Municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula Fire and Emergency Services for local distribution. As part of their campaign to raise awareness about the need for carbon monoxide alarms in all homes with a fuel burning appliance or attached garage, IBC has so far donated more than 2,500 alarms to fire departments across Ontario since 2017.

“Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer because you can’t see, taste or smell it,” Mr. John Gignac, Executive Director of the Hawkins-Gignac Foundation for CO Education stated. “The only way to stay safe is by installing at least one CSA-approved CO alarm outside bedrooms in your home. One per floor gives you the best peace of mind. Don’t wait for tragedy to strike.”

“Despite the serious threat of carbon monoxide poisoning, many Canadians do not have carbon monoxide alarms in their home,” observed Kim Donaldson, Vice-President Ontario, IBC. “Events like today help create awareness about the steps Ontarians can take to protect themselves and their families.”

Ontario law requires that carbon monoxide alarms be installed in all residential dwellings that contain at least one fuel-burning appliance (e.g., gas water heater or gas furnace), fireplace or an attached garage.

Media is invited to the Northern Bruce Peninsula Fire Station 20 located at 90 Main Street in Lion’s Head at 1 p.m. Following the Lion’s Head event, they will proceed to the Northern Bruce Peninsula Fire Station 10 located at 7 Nicholas Street in Tobermory.


CONTACT: Chris Fell | chris.fell@pc.ola.org | 519-371-2421

 
share this page
First Name
Last Name
Email *
Enter the following to confirm your subscription *
email marketing by activecampaign